Here’s proof positive that I’ve been lurking behind the scenes in publishing for the past few decades.
In addition to the writing gig, I do freelance proofreading, copy editing, and page layout for various authors and publishers across the country. It’s an enviable and glamorous life I lead.
Also: I’m an online writing coach for WriteAtHome, an online writing course for homeschool students. I currently coach the 8th grade composition writing course.
Also: I’m on the board of directors of the St. Davids Christian Writers’ Association and also on the board of education & publication of the Reformed Presbyterian Church of North America.
You can find me through Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Elance, oDesk, and Guru… and a few local coffee shops.
Style Manuals, etc.
- The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition
- Associated Press Stylebook, 33rd edition
- Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary, 11th edition
- A Manual for Writers of Term Papers, Theses, and Dissertations
(Turabian, 6th edition)
- Webster’s Standard American Style Manual
- Elements of Style, Strunk & White
- Christian Writer’s Manual of Style, Hudson
- Adobe InDesign CS6
- Adobe Acrobat Pro X
- Microsoft Word 2007
- plus the usual gang of thieves . . .
CROWN & COVENANT PUBLICATIONS
(November 2003—February 2006; April 1996—March 2000; October 1987—April 1990)
Production Manager; Typesetter; Proofreader
- Responsible for prepress production (typesetting, scanning, and proofreading), as well as printing and binding for Reformed Presbyterian Witness, monthly periodical of the RPCNA.
- Also responsible for typesetting and proofreading for other in-house books and pamphlets, and all outside production work for other clients.
- Used Macintosh G5 with OS X, Adobe InDesign, PageMaker 6.5, Photoshop, Microsoft Word, OmniPage Pro, and TextBridge software. Operated Epson Expression 800 scanner, Risograph 3770 digital duplicator.
BUSINESS CARDS TOMORROW
(March 1995—May 1996)
Bethel Park, Pa.
- Responsible for typesetting, layout, and proofreading of business cards, letterhead, envelopes, and other stationery, with a 24-hour turnaround on most items.
- Also responsible for scanning logos and other camera-ready copy for page layout, as well as using photo grids to check alignment and placement for plate shooting.
- Also responsible for shooting plates and all other prepress preparation for press operators.
- Used PageMaker 5.0 for the PC, as well as Adobe Photoshop (with Umax flatbed scanner), Itek platemaker (paper plates), occasional use of light table and fax machine (or fax modem) for proofing orders before printing.
NATIONAL REFORM ASSOCIATION
(January 1991—November 1995)
Executive Editor; Typesetter; Proofreader for The Christian Statesman; Financial Secretary; Office Manager
- Designed new, revamped template for bimonthly periodical, The Christian Statesman. Also responsible for second-stage editing, typesetting, layout, and proofreading of The Christian Statesman.
- Also responsible for design, layout, and mass mailing of promotional flyers and brochures.
- Responsible for nearly all functions of this 134-year-old nonprofit organization, including bookkeeping and database management, bulk mailing of bimonthly periodical, The Christian Statesman. Also responsible for restructuring the entire organization from a hand-kept to computerized system.
- Used PageMaker 5.0, as well as Word 6.0, Paradox 3.5, WinFax Pro, and Quicken 3.
R. R. DONNELLEY & SONS / FINANCIAL PRESS
(April 1990—August 1991)
- Responsible for proofreading and style correction for clients’ financial documents (pre-press), annual reports, and press sheets before printing.
Previous Freelance Work
(March 1992—June 1994)
Editor; Typesetter; Proofreader
- Responsible for initial template for 4-page monthly tabloid, and for editing, typesetting, layout, and proofreading of monthly state insert for national newspaper, Christian American. Used PageMaker 5.0.
CONSERVATIVE BOOK CLUB
Reviewer, religious and literary books
Also, various one-time freelance proofreading projects, as available.
CHRISTIAN WRITERS GUILD
(February 2006—February 2007)
Journeyman Level coursework in fiction
CARNEGIE MELLON UNIVERSITY
(September 1979—May 1982)
Major: Creative/Professional Writing
SCHOOL OF HARD KNOCKS
(August 1981—August 1999)
Earned six degrees of separation